Simple is Best Lentil Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Diet: Vegetarian
Nothing says comfort like a warm hearty bowl of lentil soup.
With the New Year upon us and trying to incorporate some healthier meals into dinnertime along with colder temperatures (at least here in NY) lentil soup is my rockstar. It’s comforting, hearty, filling and nutritious. Lentils really got it going on! 1 cup of lentils is jam-packed with 18 grams of protein they are high in fiber and low in fat. Throw in some basic veggies’ little veggie broth and seasoning and there you have it, the perfect bowl!
Lentil soup is also perfect if you have little ones. Lentils are a great source of protein for them as well and the lentils and veggies are a great mushy consistency if your babe is still waiting on some teeth to pop in. You could also throw everything in the food processor (remove bay leaf before blending) and blend it down even more if you’re not quite comfortable with the whole pieces yet.
- 1 medium onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 4 carrots peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bag dried lentils
- 3–4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried tyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- rinse lentils in a strainer with cold water
- in a large pot – heat olive oil over medium heat
- sauté onion, celery and carrots about 2 minutes
- add water – about 3 cups
- now add seasoning – 1 bay leaf, dried thyme (whenever I am adding dried herbs I wake up the flavor by rubbing the herbs together a bit) and salt and pepper to taste.
- add your lentils and bring to a low boil. cover for about 15 – 20 minutes
- check on the soup and as the water evaporates add in vegetable broth. I like my lentil soup on the thicker side so I add closer to 3 cups of broth but add more if you like a soupier consistency
- reduce heat to low and cook for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender
- remove bay leaf and enjoy!
Let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out. And of course message me here or over on IG @vinessarae with any questions or comments. XO vinessa
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: soup, lentil soup, vegetarian meals, family friendly meals