Don’t you just love a good old fashioned – pretty basic meatloaf recipe? Today, we’re delving into the world of timeless comfort food with a hearty and mouthwatering classic recipe that’ll have your taste buds doing a happy dance. This easy meatloaf recipe has been passed down through generations, and it’s a true classic that never goes out of style. Simply a great recipe that the entire family will love.
Meatloaf is the kind of dish that conjures up memories of family gatherings, cozy Sunday dinners, and that irresistible aroma that fills the kitchen. It’s the epitome of comfort food, and it’s no wonder that there are countless variations and a lot of meatloaf recipes out there. Everyone and every family has their own recipe or little trick that separates theirs from the rest. But today, we’re focusing on the best meatloaf recipe, one that combine lean ground beef, the perfect blend of seasonings, and a brown sugar ketchup glaze that takes this classic to a whole new level.
The Meat Mixture: A Symphony of Flavors
At the heart of any good meatloaf is the meat mixture. For our best-ever meatloaf recipe, you’ll need:
- 1 pound of lean ground beef (or your choice of ground meat)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of wet bread (you can soak bread in milk)
Getting Down to Business: Making the Meatloaf
- Preheat Your Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (175°C). This will ensure your meatloaf bakes to perfection.
- Mixing the Meatloaf Mixture: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat (I prefer lean ground beef. That’s a personal preference but any ground meat will do), chopped onions, minced garlic, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and the wet bread. Mixing it by hand is a bit messy but incredibly satisfying. Just be sure to blend everything together thoroughly to create a flavorful and moist meatloaf.
- Shape and Bake: Form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf shape and place it in a baking dish or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. This classic meatloaf is a true crowd-pleaser, and shaping it is part of the fun!
- The Glaze: Now, for that extra burst of flavor, I prepare the glaze. In a separate small bowl, mix together ketchup and brown sugar. This sweet and savory glaze is what elevates our traditional meatloaf recipe to something truly exceptional. Two simple ingredients puts this tasty dish over the top.
- Top It Off: Spread the ketchup and brown sugar glaze on top of the meatloaf. This glaze is the crowning glory that will give your meatloaf that glossy, irresistible finish.
- Into the Oven: Pop your masterpiece into the preheated oven and let it bake for about 1 hour. You’ll know it’s done when it’s cooked through and has a beautiful golden-brown color.
- Let It Rest: It might be tempting to dive in right away, but trust us on this one – let your moist meatloaf rest for a few minutes before slicing. This helps to keep all those flavorful juices inside, making each bite more delicious than the last.
Serving Your Delicious Meatloaf
Now that your meatloaf has rested, it’s time to slice and serve. This flavorful meatloaf pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes and green beans, but it’s also fantastic in a meatloaf sandwich the next day. That is why this is one of my favorite recipes to make – throw the leftovers in an airtight container and you will have leftover meatloaf for the whole family for a day or two – depending on how much you make.
The Best Meatloaf Recipe: Versatile and Delicious
The beauty of our classic meatloaf recipe is its versatility. You can use a different type of meat, such as ground turkey or a mixture of beef and pork or grass-fed ground beef, to suit your taste. You can also customize it by adding your favorite toppings or seasonings to the meat mixture.
A Homemade Meatloaf Recipe Worth Sharing
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes hit the mark quite like meatloaf. It’s a comforting, filling, and flavorful option that has stood the test of time. Whether you’re preparing it for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion, my best meatloaf recipe is a winner every time.
So, gather your ingredients, preheat that oven, and embark on a culinary journey that’ll remind you of the goodness of home-cooked meals. Your friends and family will thank you for sharing this delicious meatloaf with them. Enjoy!Print